Summer Armenian Studies
Lark Musical Society
Summer Armenian Studies Program
July 28 THROUGH AUGUST 8, 2014
Lark offers exciting classes in Armenian Studies for the second year in a row, as part of its summer activities.
The Program is geared towards adults from high school seniors and upwards.
It is a two-week immersive lecture series beginning on July 28, 2014.
Taught in English, lectures are given by a stimulating roster of instructors, from university professors, to active professionals in the arts, to community leaders.
Over the two-week period, participants engage in concentrated courses on three areas of Armenian studies:
– Language and Literature
– History and Geography
The daily schedule includes one 50-minute lecture per area of study from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Instructors explore a variety of topics within each category.
The lectures are designed to build spiritual awareness and scholarly understanding of the culture and history of the Armenian people.
Through discussions on specific subjects pertaining to the Armenian past, the series seeks to
– instigate familiarity with historical achievements,
– intimate appreciation of cultural treasures, and
– open awareness of the unique contributions of our heritage.
The lecture series is a bold foray towards strengthening a conscientious discernment of our birthright and ultimately, our identity.
Tuition: The fee for the two-week period of instruction is $600. The program is subsidized through the generous support of an anonymous donor. Lark is able to offer the series to individuals without the assigned tuition, excepting only the $50 registration fee.
Those interested are welcome to fill out the application form attached and submit it along with your registration fee.
Description of Classes Offered
Language and Literature:
– Overview: A perspective on the development of the Armenian language from Grabar (classical Armenian) to Ashkharhabar (spoken language), and the emerging of dialects: 3 lectures
– Modern Armenian literature and grammar: 3 lectures
– Armenian poetry: 3 lectures
– A survey of the history of the Armenians from their origins to the present day: 3 lectures
– An introduction to the Golden Age (Voskedar): 3 lectures
– A survey of the history of the Armenian Church: 3 lectures
– Introduction to Armenian architecture: 3 lectures
– Introduction to Armenian fine arts: 3 lectures
– Introduction to Armenian Music: 3 lectures
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Dr. Onnik Keshishian
SUMMER ARMENIAN STUDIES PROGRAM
Registration Fee: $50
N.B. The program is underwritten by an anonymous donor. Therefore the full fee of $600 is waived for all participants.
If you have any questions please call our offices at 818-500-9997.
Please send application form to:
LARK SUMMER ARMENIAN STUDIES
543 Arden Ave.
Glendale, CA 91203